by Lynn Bigbie, Georgia Southern Unversity
This webquest is designed to increase your knowledge of Global Warming and what we can do to help stop it.
Imagine if some of the following scenarios were to come true:
· 50 million people worldwide will be displaced by 2010 because of rising sea levels
· Eventually it will be about 200 degrees in summers and 100 in winters and in about 300 years the world will get hot to the point it will blow up...
· Low lying land like many Pacific Islands and Miami will be under water.
· Rain and drought patterns across the world could change, hurricanes could become more frequent.
· An increase in the number of people exposed to vector borne diseases (e.g. cholera) and an increase in heat stress mortality.
Or what about these scenarios?
- Global warming will result in little more than warmer winters and increased plant growth.
- Attempting to lower greenhouse emissions may do more damage to the world economy and human society than any amount of global warming.
- More affordable heating bills, less ice and snow to hinder drivers, and fewer airline delays because of bad weather.
- Global warming will probably be the best thing to happen to agricultural production since the invention of the tractor and man-made fertilizers.
- Less cold related severe weather and death
While some believe that global warming will cause catastrophic, human-eradicating change to our planet, others believe that it is just a warmer day with a lower electricity bill. What do you believe?
What effect does global warming have on individuals, communities, and societies and what are some ways to circumvent those effects?