Let's Get Started!
Before beginning this Webquest you should have a pencil, pieces of paper for the book you will be making, and your thinking cap! After you have all of these things you may begin!
The seven wonders of the ancient world do not look like they did long ago. Some of them are still here and others have disappeared or have been torn down. On this Webquest, you will be able to discover important information on these mysterious seven wonders. Would you like to see where these seven wonders were located? Click on the link below to get started on your search!
Did you notice all those stars on the map? Those stars represent where the seven wonders were located. You are going to take a look at each star to find out more information on the seven wonders.
The first star you are going to visit is on the Island of Rhodes. Click on the link below that will take you to your first destination! Don't forget your sunglasses!
As you read, answer these questions. Be sure to write down your answers in your book.
1. Where is the Colossus of Rhodes located?
2. When was this sculpture built?
3. How long did it take to build the sculpture?
4. Who built the Colossus?
5. What was it made of?
6. What happened to the Colossus of Rhodes?
After you answer these questions, take a few minutes to draw the first ancient wonder in your book. But hurry! You don't want to miss out on the second ancient wonder!
The second star you are going to visit is where the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus is situated. Click on the link below to find out more about this mausoleum!
1. Where is the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus located?
2. When was this sculpture built?
3. What is on this mausoleum?
4. What is the purpose for this building?
5. Who was the mausoleum dedicated to?
6. What happened to the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus?
After you answer these questions, take a few minutes to draw this famous mausoleum.
Are you ready to move on to the third location? Let's go!
This next star is where the famous statue of Zeus sits. Click on the link below to find out more!
1. Where was the statue of Zeus located?
2. When was this statue complete?
3. Why was it built?
4. What type of columns were used to support the structure?
5. Who built the statue of Zeus?
6. What happened to the statue?
Here's a picture of Zeus in the temple. Take a few minutes to draw it out, then you can move on to your next destination!
The fourth star represents the Hanging Gardens of Babylon. Click on the link below to continue your search! Don't forget to put the answers to the question in your book!
1. Who built the Hanging Gardens?
2. When were the Hanging Gardens constructed?
3. Where were the gardens located?
4. What was the purpose for these gardens?
5. What is so special about these gardens?
6. Write down something interesting you learned about these gardens!
After you answer these questions, draw a sketch of the Hanging Gardens in your book.
You're almost done! Only three more ancient wonders to visit! Hang in there, let's go to the fifth location which holds the Pyramids of Giza!
1. Where are the pyramids located?
2. How old are these pyramids?
3. What is so special about this ancient wonder?
4. How many blocks of stone were used to build the pyramids?
5. How were the slaves able to move these heavy bricks of stone?
6. What was the purpose of the pyramids?
Are you learning a lot? I bet your book looks incredible! Only two left!
The sixth star on the map shows you where the Temple of Artemis is located. Take a look!
1. Where was this temple constructed?
2. About what time was this temple completed?
3. What happened to the temple multiple times?
4. Who was very impressed by this glorious temple?
5. What was the majority of the temple made out of?
6. What two men are responsible for the design of the temple?
Have you enjoyed your visits to all these magnificent structures so far? We have one more left! The last star on the map will take you to the place where the gorgeous Lighthouse of Alexandria stood! Check it out!
1. Where was this lighthouse built?
2. What was the purpose of the lighthouse?
3. How long did the lighthouse stand? What happened to it?
4. What does the word "Pharos" mean?
5. What famous queen died in this structure?
6. What body of water do present-day researchers look for remains of the ancient lighthouse?
Here's your last picture to copy into your book!