If you're like most American high school students, you don't know much about the context of the novel we're going to read. Things Fall Apart is a novel written by a Nigerian. The novel's characters are also Nigerian, specifically Igbo, and they lived in the late 1800s. Obviously, before you enter the world of this book and try to make connections with its ideas, you need to know more about its context. Who wrote it and why? Where did it happen? When did it happen? What are the people like? What is the time period like? In other words, before you think about this book's ideas, you must consider it's historical, geographical, social, and cultural contexts. This webquest will encourage you to directly reflect on these questions as you create an interview and as you listen to other students' interviews.
Through this webquest you will accomplish the following:
- Research websites in your area of context expertise.
- Synthesize the information into the 5 most important or interesting topics to you.
- Create an interview script following the interview rubric.
- Adapt and practice your interview with an expert partner.
- Present your interview with an expert partner for the class.