Slavery was a major cause of the Civil War. It was an uncontrollable conflict between the North and South. In the West, the
was expanding, and questions over the territories becoming a slave or fee state caused conflicts in Congress. United States
Northern opposition to slavery caused the South to fear a threat to them owning slaves and their economy (slave based
systems). Abolition movement (group of people who considered slavery to be morally wrong) was growing strong in the North. Southerners found slavery profitable and considered slavery to be good. Plantation
Approximately a ¼ owned slaves, and a ½ of the families owned fewer than 5 slaves. Most Southerners who did not own slaves supported slavery because they believed the Southern economy would collapse without slaves and Blacks were inferior to whites.
Assignment: Imagine you were a slave during the 1800's, and the horrible treatment you would face. Use your previous knowledge on slavery and the following Web sites to write a journal entry where you are pretending to be a slave. Include the following criteria:
1. How slaves were treated by their masters?
2. What different things slaves faced?
3. Describe working and living conditions?
4. Describe slaves lives outside of working on the plantations?
- Listen to the 5 narratives of the slaves that Worked on the Plantations.
- Read through 3 narratives of what these 3 slaves went through.
- Scroll down to Trends, Slave treatment, and slave life.
The South’s population in 1860 was approximately 12 million, with about 4 million enslaved people. Most people lived on farms in spread-out communities, lived on self sufficient plantations, and cities were trading centers. The economy was based on agriculture, supported by slave labor, and the growth of cash crops such as cotton, tobacco, and sugar. Large plantation owners controlled much of the Southern traditional and conservative society.
Assignment: Imagine you were plantation owner during the 1800's, and you are defending the need for slavery and how abolishing slavery would negatively affect the South’s economy. Use your previous knowledge on the South’s economy in the 1800’s and the following Web sites to write a news article explaining why slavery should still be used. Include the following criteria:
1. Why Southerners believed slavery was okay?
2. Describes the South’s economy in the 1800’s.
3. How the South’s economy would be affected if slavery was abolished?