With your partner, reread the story Officer Buckle and Gloria.
Make sure that you put both yours and your partners name on everything that you turn in. If you do not put your names you will not receive credit for the task.
Remember R-Controlled vowels are vowels followed by the bossy "r". The bossy "r" makes the vowel say "r", like in car or park.
1. Click on the link to the R-Controlled Vowel Game. With your partner play the game two or three times.
2. After playing the game two or three times, click on the R-Controlled Vowel Quiz link. Print one copy of this page and complete the quiz with your partner. Make sure to put both of your names on the quiz before turning it in.
The next task you may look back the story Officer Buckle and Gloria to help you draw conclusions about some of the things that happened in the story.
3. Click on the Drawing Conclusions link. Print two copies of this page and be sure to answer the questions in complete sentences. Remember to put your name on your paper before turning it in.
Remember, a pronoun is a word that takes the place of a noun. Instead of saying, "John went to the store." You could say, "He went to the store".
4. Click on the Pronoun Clubhouse link. Play the game four times. You and your partner should each make two clubhouses. Remember if the word is at the beginning of a sentence it needs to start with a capital letter.
5. After playing the game four times, click on the Pronoun Quiz link. Print one copy of this page and complete the quiz with your partner. Make sure to put both of your names on the quiz before turning it in.
6. Visit the FEMA Disaster Area by clicking on the link. When you are there, explore the different types of disasters. Look at the pictures and read some of the safety tips that are given there. Then, with your partner, click "What Did You Learn?" and take the quiz to see how much you know.
7. After exploring the different disasters and taking the quiz, click the link to play the Hidden Safety Tip game. Try to find as many safety tips as you can in the picture. Hint: There are at least 5.
In the story you read, some things could have really happened and some things could not. We call things that could have happened Fact or Non-fiction. We call things that could not have really happened Fantasy or Fiction.
8. Now it is time to play a game. Click on the link to Tina’s World to play. You will be helping Tina decide if her stories are real or make believe.
Officer Buckle comes up with his safety tips by thinking about accidents that he has had before in his life or accidents he has seen other people make.
Now you should know all about safety tips.
Try to think about some time in your life, or someone else's life, that you learned a safety tip from.
9. Click on the computer's Start Button and open the Paint Program. Once there, you and your partner are to take turns coming up with your own safety tips. When you are finished, print what you created, and make sure to put your name on it.