- Students will visit this website to identify the members of deep-sea coral communities. Each student will submit a prioritized list of the organism they wish to study, and will be assigned one by their teacher.
- Students will conduct extensive research on their organism's life cycle, food web, predators, and symbioses. They will draw or locate an image of the organism, and will become an expert on this organism, its food web, its value, and its geographic distribution.
- Value of Deep-Sea Corals.
- What Can You Do?
- Image of Brittle Star inside white octocoral
- Deep-Sea Corals Ocean Portals
- Student teams will be constructed. Each team will have one expert on each of the species of the deep-sea coral community. Team members will tell about their species in the team meeting and will brainstorm habitat challenges.
- Team members will identify human behaviors that pose harm to the deep-sea coral communities. They will find out what is being done now, and what still needs to be done. They will then prioritize the list deciding what their corporation will focus on.
- This reference provides information on the impact of human careless trash disposal on deep-sea coral communities.
- What is it worth? Why is habitat conservation important to us?
- Ocean Acidification Education Tool
- Decide on the important points to put in a bi-fold brochure. It must include your corporation's name, vision, mission statement, logo, and a place for the recipient to respond if they want to help your corporation.
- Create the brochure; your teacher will grade this and give the approval to create color, printable versions to distribute.
- Create an image (it could be your logo) to place on a t-shirt, hat, tie, or visor. These will be worn at the meeting you hold to enlist your fellow student's and local community member's support for your project.
- Optional and for extra credit, you may create and produce business cards.
- Meet with your teacher and/or principal to find a good time for your corporation to address the student group you are focusing on.
- Once the date and time are selected, create posters to advertise the meeting.
- Create an agenda for your meeting.
- Once you know what you will present, begin work to design a Prezi or power point presentation to convey your passion for raptors and desire to see their numbers protected. Include the specifics of the plan you are proposing and tell students what they can do to help be a part of the solution.
- Your teacher will provide the students that attend the meeting with investment money. Students viewing the presentation may purchase units of stock in your company.
References made available from the NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research