Task #1: Your group will research and organize information about your assigned stakeholder's perspective concerning the removal of four federal dams on the Lower Snake River in order to save the wild salmon.
1. Using a variety of resources (at least three), research your assigned stakeholder's position.
2. Be sure you include the following in your research:
- Determine the stakeholder's position on the issue. (Should the dams be removed?)
- Give at least three reasons supporting your stakeholder's position.
- Explain how one constitutional right or responsibility relates to your stakeholder's position.
- Right to express your opinion, petition government (1st Amendment)
- Right to life (clean water, food supply)
- Right to happiness (making money, pleasure)
- Responsibility to protect our environment (salmon survival in the Endangered Species Act)
- Right to control our land (federal vs. state government)
- Explain how the common good relates to your stakeholder's position.
Common good (the same as common welfare) means what is best for the community as a whole.
1. Environmental Groups - Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Sierra Club, National Wildlife Federation, Washington Wildlife Federation
2. Eastern Washington Farmers
3. Fishermen - Commercial or Sports
4. Northwest Hydroelectric Utility Companies - Bonneville Power Administration (BPA)
5. Northwest Native Americans - Affiliated Tribes of Northwest Indians, Northwest
Indian Fisheries Commission, Bureau of Indian Affairs
Task #2: Your group will present your stakeholder's position in a Public Hearing. You will be trying to influence the way in which a member of Congress votes on this issue.
After researching your stakeholder's perspective, your group will prepare a presentation. Your presentation will need to be one of these formats:
- Poster or Trifold Display
Your group will need to prepare a plan for your final presentation which must be approved by your teacher. Please complete the planning worksheet.
Your group will be scored according to the presentation rubric. Each member of the group will be expected to participate cooperatively in this task.
Task #3: Individually you will state your informed opinion in a written paper.
State whether or not you are in favor of the removal of four federal dams on the Lower Columbia in order to save the wild salmon. In other words, take a position on this issue.
Provide background on the issue by explaining two stakeholder's positions on this issue.
Include an explanation of how EITHER a right OR the common good relates to the position on the issue (for a score of 4 you must have both a right and a common good explanation).
List at least two sources including the title, author, type of source, and date of each source.