by Pam Gardner, Franklin Road Academy
Modified by Phil Staheli, Pleasant Grove Junior High
Throughout this WebQuest, students are on a journey to put together a crew for a pirate ship. The idea is that the class has been invaded by famous pirate captains that have come back in time to create a new crew to sail the oceans with. Students have to work cooperatively to research about pirates, design their pirate ship (with name), flag, code of conduct,and they must choose a student captain to represent their real Pirate Captain,to sail their ship. Students will put together a power point that includes a biography on their captain, as well as some art work,with written descreptions of the ship and flag. Codes of Conduct must be both in the power point along with a poster made.
Teachers beware! Your classrooms have been invaded by pirates and they're not Johnny Depp!
In this WebQuest, your students will be researching pirates in groups of four. Each student will be assigned a specific task, one the ships captain One student, as captain will regain his memory, thus by relaying his achievements, another will design a ship for the captain and his crew, another will design the flag, and the final one create a code of conduct to be followed on the ship.
This WebQuest has been created for a grade 8th grade language arts resouce classroom, but touches on aspects of art and technology as well. The following are the objectives for the activity that conform with the cycle three Language Arts and Cross Curricular competencies.
1. Students will develop research and reading information based text found on the internet.
2. Students will develop their ability to focus on key information required for a final presentation in an information based text.
3. Students will acquire knowledge of writing a mini biography.
4. Students will acquire knowledge of pirate history, flags, ships and the code of conduct.
5. Students will develop cooperative learning skills.
6. Students will develop their knowledge of creating a Inspiration outline and a PowerPoint presentations as a means for presenting their written projects.