1. Join two other students in the class to form a team.
2. As a team, select one topic from the following list:
Trees Bushes and Grasses
Flowers Vegetables and Fruits
3. You will select the role you want to play; once the role is selected, you will be responsible for the activities that pertain to that role. Click on the roles below to see what you will need to do:
Checkpoint 1: Complete checkpoint 1 section of this form and submit it to the teacher.
4. The class will go on a field trip to a local park where you will be able to take pictures of your plants. Make sure you read what your role's responsibilities are, as you will need to stay in your role during the field trip.
5. As a team, you will use the pictures taken by the photographer to determine the scientific and common names of your plants. You will have two class periods to complete this section. You may use the following resource to help you with your research:
6. Make sure you write down all the resources you consult, as you will be required to provide a bibliography with your individual report. Use the link below to see how to create a bibliography
Checkpoint 2: Complete checkpoint 2 section of the Activity Checkpoint Form and submit it to the teacher.
7. With your research completed, you are now ready for the next activity. You will use the photographer's pictures, the information collected by the botanist, and the ideas from the graphic designer to create your guide and presentation. You will have two class periods to complete this section.
8. As you prepare your ten (10) minute presentation, make sure you include:
The name of your topic
Names of the team members
A sample of your plant guide
A short explanation on how you identified the species in your guide
Requirement: Each team member must have a speaking role during the presentation
Checkpoint 3: After your presentation, you will submit your guide, and a copy of your presentation to the teacher.
9. You are almost done, the last thing you need to do, individually, is to write a one to two page report that includes:
The topic your group selected
The names of your team
The paragraph required under your role description
A paragraph explaining what you learned with this activity
10. You will hand your report to the teacher the day after your group presentation.
Hint: How to display your plant pictures
Here are a couple of examples of how you should display your plant pictures. Note how the scientific name is in italics, lower case, and the common name is in bold.
(rudbeckia hirta) Black-Eyed Susan
(acer rubrum) Red Maple